Monday, December 13, 2010

Journey Begins......

Finally made the decision to put myself first. I decided to go to a weight loss seminar held by a local hospital. I remember looking around thinking 'I guess I should be thankful that I'm not as bad off as some of the people in the room' - but then I quickly realized that if I don't do something now I will be that bad off. I've been dealing with my weight since I was a teenager. I'm like most people struggling with their weight. I've lost the same 50 lbs. over and over, but it has always come back and then some. After going to the seminar - I decided the lap-band is for me. One of the reasons I've put off surgery is because of the risks involved and I feel like the lap-band is my best option. I've also put it off because my PCP kept saying I didn't have enough co-morbidities to qualify. My BMI is and has been well over 50% and I was diagnosed with sleep apnea two years ago. So I'm finally putting my foot down - do I really have to get HBP and diabetes first?
I've had my PCP visit and when reviewing my records he realized that I've gained 90 lbs. in 12 years - wow - that's crazy. How come I kept seeing the same person in the mirror all those years? He agreed to write my letter of support. Next - the Pysch Eval. I actually felt pretty good after that -- I felt like the doctor could tell that I'm ready to do this. Next was the Nutrition Eval, didn't feel so good when I left there. It was a big wake up call - and the only thing I kept thinking was 'Am I damaging my kids?' -- with all the sweet tea, eating in front of the tv, eating late after all the sports are done, etc. etc. etc.
Now I'm waiting for all the reports to be sent to the surgeon!! Aaahhhh - the waiting is the worst. I have BCBS and the requirements seem pretty straight forward. I don't see how it could possibly be denied - but you never know. I really hope I'm not getting my hopes up!!!
I'm trying to start with a few of the diet things now - so I'll be prepared later. First step --- stop my Starbucks habit. I don't go everyday, but I do go 2-3 times a week. I'm going to work on eliminating those liquid calories. Second step --- taking vitamins. I'm not a good pill taker, but I know they are a key to the nutrition after surgery.
I want to say thanks to all the bloggers and vloggers out there - I've gained invaluable knowledge and inspiration and I'm hoping my blog will one day help others making this big decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment